Saturday, May 21, 2011

An Eventful Week

I have attended a celebration, a graduation and a kick-off in the last two days. On Friday, we attended the Fifth Grade Celebration at Michael's school. I was so proud of him. I know it was hard for him to stand still while the class sang several songs but he was a trooper. I cannot believe he will be leaving elementary school! I am just so proud of how much he has accomplished. When he was in kindergarten, I sobbed at his graduation because I truly had no hope for him. It broke my heart that he was "different" from the other kids and I was so jealous of the parents with "normal" kids and angry that they didn't know how lucky they had it. Yes, it was a big pity-party. God and time has helped me see there is hope and that I have to take things one day at a time and celebrate all of the accomplishments along the way. We have been so blessed to have good teachers and loving, wonderful assistants for Michael. They feel like family.

Last night was the high school graduation. It was bitter-sweet for me. I am so proud of my students and am excited about their future. I wish them all the success in the world, happiness and joy.

Today, I drove to Nashville and attended the Autism Speaks Walk Kick-Off Event at Granny White Park. (Side note: Oh my goodness! Those houses in Brentwood! Mercy, I wonder who lives in those mansions?!) Anyway, it was a beautiful day. Team M&M took two baskets for the silent auction.

This one was our 4th of July Picnic Basket.


This one was our Vols Basket.


I wish I could say we made lots of money but we didn't. There weren't many people at the Kick-Off so there were not many bidders. We made $40 for the Vols basket and $30 for the 4th of July basket. All of the money goes to Team M&M so it's all good. The Kick-Off was really inspiring and it got me fired up for the walk in September.




One of the highlights for me was receiving two awards. The first was for me. :) Everyone who raises over $1,000 is in the Grand Club. I received a pin and a plaque. Team M&M received an award for being one of the top teams in the state. Out of 250 teams in the state, we were in the top 10 last year. Whoo hoo! We have a great start this year so I hope we beat our record this year. This year's walk in 9-10-11 (I love that date!) and we are already doing well. I am trying to use yard sales and other events to raise money so I don't have to lean on the very generous people who have supported us the last four years.

After stopping by Chick-fil-a for us and Jack-in-the-Box for Michael, I headed home. I am now sitting and being lazy. After an eventful two days, I think I deserve it!

Enjoy the beautiful weather and the rest of the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An award from Paige!

An award from Paige!
This award is bestowed on to blogs that are exceedingly charming. These kind of bloggers aim to find and be friends.

Followers