Sunday, December 19, 2010

Pity Party

Here I sit. It is 8:05 am on Sunday morning. I want to be at church, which started five minutes ago but I can't. My sitter for Michael, who is wonderful, forgot to tell me she is out-of-state right now. I spent 25 minutes looking out of the kitchen window, waiting, waiting...I get to sing in our praise band at church and enjoy it so much. Do I sing that well? No! I just love the people in our band and they are tolerant enough to let me hang out with them. So, on the Sunday before Christmas, here I am, sitting on my bed, fighting back tears, and wondering why. Just why. I have never asked God why Michael has autism or why we as parents get to go on this bumpy ride. But I have asked God why He is making it so hard for me to worship with my church family. On the Sundays I don't sing, Michael goes with me. He has lasted anywhere from two minutes (yes, two) to almost forty-five minutes of the service. I would keep him longer but he talks pretty much non-stop. That is just a quirk of autism for some kids. He is usually saying random things like repeating Spongebob dialogue or his own ramblings about nothing and I don't want it to disturb the people around us so we leave. I know, whine, whine but most of the people I know get to go to church, go to a restaurant or anywhere without fear of their child having a melt-down or running. (Yes, I know toddlers do that but my child is eleven. By the time your children are eleven, they will be making friends, talking on the phone and planning a future, you know, normal things in childhood. My child is not doing any of those things.)

Sorry. I try to hold it together and most of the time, I am SO grateful for the progress. I AM grateful but I get selfish sometimes. I want to be able to go somewhere without worrying and that will NEVER happen. OK! Pity party (almost) over. Maybe I should just cry and get it over with. I have another chance to attend church this week. On Christmas Eve, our church is having two services-one at 5 pm and one at 11 pm. Surely I can get to one of those. I want to take Michael to the early service but we will see.

Yeah, a good cry sounds pretty good right now. I will write a more positive post later but the name of this blog is PPD-Nos Lifestyle and this is just a small part of it.

Tomorrow will be a better day.

2 comments:

  1. I do ask why a lot and I know I shouldn't. The frustration of wondering why me, why us, why Thomas is almost more than I can take. This time of year seems to throw it in our face as well. Hang in there, dear. There *has* to be a reason why we were chosen to be the parents of these children. There just has to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Carolina. Some days are better than others, as you well know. I am sorry you are walking this walk but I am grateful someone understands.

    ReplyDelete

An award from Paige!

An award from Paige!
This award is bestowed on to blogs that are exceedingly charming. These kind of bloggers aim to find and be friends.

Followers